Val di Fiemme

JeffreyOlanda

Dear all,

Sorry for not speaking Italian, I have a question:

We are planning for the second time to come to Italy for wintersports, normally most Dutch go to Austria or France but we simply love Italy ;)
Anyway snow is poor and last year we also experienced an lack of snow eventhough there was enough to open everything in “our” area (val die fiemme) now for example passo lavaze only 11 km loipes open of the 88 L In your opinion is January usually a poor month for snow? Is February better? We will be there at the end of February but now I am thinking of cancelling and choose Austria instead, which makes me sad.

Thank you.

@JeffreyOlanda

Do not worry
Val di Fiemme has excellent snowmaking equipment. They are also very good at hitting the slopes.

The end of February is generally a period in witch natural snow abounds.
The ski center Alpe Cermis Predazzo/Pampeago Oberregen and Bellamonte were all open even in December when the natural snow was not there...
Finally , Lavazè is principally a location for cross-country ski, rather than for alpine skiing.

I repeat ... don't worry :D

Dear all,

Sorry for not speaking Italian, I have a question:

We are planning for the second time to come to Italy for wintersports, normally most Dutch go to Austria or France but we simply love Italy ;)
Anyway snow is poor and last year we also experienced an lack of snow eventhough there was enough to open everything in “our” area (val die fiemme) now for example passo lavaze only 11 km loipes open of the 88 L In your opinion is January usually a poor month for snow? Is February better? We will be there at the end of February but now I am thinking of cancelling and choose Austria instead, which makes me sad.

Thank you.

I guess the answer depends on the kind of skiing you are interested in. If you only ski on piste you won't have any problems in val di fiemme, as they do a great job with snow making and grooming. There is great on-piste skiing already in Cermis and Pampeago, even with the super dry winter we've had so far. Plus, february loos like it might bring some more snow anyway (at least that's what we are all hoping for) so you will be fine no matter what. If you are interested in off-piste skiing as well though, you are probably better off going to Austria, as there is no base right now and unless we get some massive snow falls over the next few weeks the conditions will be quite grim.

Also, if you want more advice, I suggest that you open a dedicated thread, as your message could get a bit lost in here.

Keep calm Jeffrey!!!

The problem was this crazy december, totally without snow (or rain). In january the situation is a bit improved especially for the Val D'Aosta (cervinia, la thuile, courmayeur). In the est now there is less snow but is really cold, so the ski resorts are using snow cannons for open new slopes every day. Moreover, consider that before the end of February is very likely that there will be several snowfalls...at least i hope!

Grazie mille @ All.

No need for a specific thread, I don’t want to make a mess on your forum ;)

I just wondered, form what I could find on the internet it is not uncommon for January to be a month with little snowfall on the other hand December is. I hope together with you February will be some change! Is there any specific website were they do some longterm forcasting/modelwatching?

To answer your question, we ski on piste (I am the only one in the family who sometimes goes off-piste but not in back country)

I found a skischool on Jochgrimm which allowed me to stay with my son in the class (he is 6) we need to come to the alps for skiing because our country is flat ;) As most boys of his age they ask and talks a lot.. ;) the skischools in Fiemme only speak German and Polish which he does not understand and he will get disappointed if the teacher doesn’t speak back ;) So I will translate. And on Jochgrimm there is snow but not so much, so I fear it will get worse with now the days getting longer and the sun more intense.

It is uncommon for Dutch people to go to Italy for skiing most go to Austria & France, most Dutch people speak German but not yet at the age of 6. And next to that I rather not see my fellow countrymen on my holiday they can be quite unpleasant hahahaha No joking, it is less crowded in Italy then in Austria in school holidays and I hate waiting for a lift and overcrowded pistes with people who do all kind of kamikaze stunts, this is not to say Dutch people can ski good, some can for people from a flat country hahahaha. And your coffee is way better ;)

Thank you for your kind help and I hope it changes

I will keep calm for a few more weeks

Grazie mille @ All.

No need for a specific thread, I don’t want to make a mess on your forum ;)

I just wondered, form what I could find on the internet it is not uncommon for January to be a month with little snowfall on the other hand December is. I hope together with you February will be some change! Is there any specific website were they do some longterm forcasting/modelwatching?

To answer your question, we ski on piste (I am the only one in the family who sometimes goes off-piste but not in back country)

I found a skischool on Jochgrimm which allowed me to stay with my son in the class (he is 6) we need to come to the alps for skiing because our country is flat ;) As most boys of his age they ask and talks a lot.. ;) the skischools in Fiemme only speak German and Polish which he does not understand and he will get disappointed if the teacher doesn’t speak back ;) So I will translate. And on Jochgrimm there is snow but not so much, so I fear it will get worse with now the days getting longer and the sun more intense.

It is uncommon for Dutch people to go to Italy for skiing most go to Austria & France, most Dutch people speak German but not yet at the age of 6. And next to that I rather not see my fellow countrymen on my holiday they can be quite unpleasant hahahaha No joking, it is less crowded in Italy then in Austria in school holidays and I hate waiting for a lift and overcrowded pistes with people who do all kind of kamikaze stunts, this is not to say Dutch people can ski good, some can for people from a flat country hahahaha. And your coffee is way better ;)

Thank you for your kind help and I hope it changes

I will keep calm for a few more weeks

Well, lucky for you we have one of the top experts in the world on Jochgrimm - the user 21fede. :D He's a snowboard instructor who works up there and used to provide us with hourly updates on the conditions in Jochgrimm, though he doesn't write as much lately. Anyway, you could try sending him a PM.

And of course our cofee rules. :premiato:

Thank you all for your nice jokes and Irony :D Off course I can use google translate but luckily I have a few Italian colleagues who helped me out and I and they had a good laugh :wink: To write like “the uncle from Canada” is my job because also my friends and colleagues in Italy need to understand me :wink: I will keep on reading and do my best to speak Italian next year at the EICMA Milano or Genoa Boatshow Ciao

If I can add I can say that people have cancelled in Austria and came to the Dolomites because of lack of snow there. All the slopes of Cermis, ski center latemar and Lusia are ready or will be ready within a couple of days.
In the Dolomites is part of the regular drill to prepare slopes from scratch with 0 or almost 0 snow. The one from the sky is considered a bonus.
For both, downhill and cross country.
Moreover for cross country in Val di fiemme have dozens of km perfectly covered by snow guns. And the track of the Marcialonga , that is prepared with artificial snow remains usable for few weeks after the event.

Thank you! I'm confident that some snow from the sky will come! I/we just love Italy and looking at the weather charts tonight I see some small chances appearing. Just unlucky I don't speak italian (yet) :)