Freeride in Italy?? Bormio?

Viktor Sickhead

Ciao tutti,
My name is Victor, from Sofia, Bulgaria. And yeah, I am the best skier on the mountain :D (RIP Shane McConkey)

Now I live in Roma, and I am wondering how the parks are treating the freeriders, because they are hunting us in Bulgaria for example. Can you ski outside the tracks with no problems.

And what could you advice about BORMIO- is it good place for freeride, or is more runs- I know FIS have tour there. I will be grateful if you reccomend a good spot, because I am planning where to go now.

Meanwhile here is link from the Bulgarian Extreme and Freeride Ski Assosiation, my friends opened the season at 2200 m at 11th october :)

Îêòîìâðèéñêà ðåâîëþöèÿ

I can't help you because I don'know Bormio; but I want to say that I wonder when I saw the immages that you have linked... Tell me, but those amazing landscapes are in the Bulgarian mountains?? And on October 11th is there usually so much snow, or this year is an exception?? If it's so, is wonderful... Bye and good luck for your holiday on the italian alps... where at the moment the situation is "quite different" compared to the landscapes that you have shown...

Hi,
for what I know Bormio and Livigno are not so freeride friendly. There are a lot of restrictions and you easily risk a fine if you put your skis out of groomed slopes!
You should better head to other regions such as Aosta Valley or Trentino that have a different approach to freeriding.
Anyway, have a nice winter and enjoy it! :Y

Hippo, that early opening was unexpected. None of us was riding october so far.

That particular place is called Maliovica ( it's Alpine and freeski meka, we call it the Bulgarian Chamonix)- it is in the Rila mountains. Maybe you have heard for 7 Rila lakes- they are very popular, so Maliovica peak is about 7 hours walking from them. I am linking you our website, translated into english, there are some graphics of the terrain.

Pirin mountains (2914) are possibly the best place to be at the Balkans as a whole.

Terrains

And I already booked for Bormio so we will see... Saint Anton and Davos are close :)

last year my best powder day was in Bormio in the end of november, there are plenty of offpistes you can easily spot from lifts and slopes.

I am sure there are also advanced tours to do in the backside of Bormio mountain, on the direction to Santa Caterina di Valfurva, but in this case you need to plan everithing in advance with all the necessary infos

OK, thank you so much for the responses.

One more thing- what about rescue opperations outside the tracks, if something bad happens? Do the local rescures go into the backcountry, or the insurance is valid just for the lift zone? In Austria they sent heli for 5 mins and our insurance covered 6000 Euro. I am talking mainly for ACL injuries :(

I am thinkig of going for the season preopening, because am going crazy already :))

Ние вече открихме сезона на Solda*. Има съвсем малко powder , но пък всички съоръжения са на пълен режим, а дневната карта струва само 21,00€.

Абе добре си си ти в Тренто, като гледам. Как е положението със снега, стопи ли се? Тука в Рим маа яко дъжд.

И тук се скапа да вали дъжд, ама горе на високото позаснежава. В неделя сме на Marmolada, ако ти се иска заповядай.

And what could you advice about BORMIO-
Have you already booking your holidays in Bormio or can you choose other resorts? I am not an expert of freeride skiing but reading and discussing with many other people I have an idea of the best italian resorts for skiing out of the slopes.

The west side of Italy offers better conditions for skiing off piste: it has higher mpountains, more precipitations and colder temperature. The most famous freeride-oriented resorts are: Courmayeur, Macugnaga, Alagna - Valsesia (this is promoted with the mantra "freeride paradise"). There is some small resort which offer nice terrain: Courchevel, Crevacol, and one few km after the border between Italy and Switzerland, I don't remember the name.

In the center of Alps the most famous resort freeride oriented is the Adamello Ski Resort expecially the Passo Tonale and Presena area.

In the east side of Alps mountains are with less altitude but there are particular areas with particular climate conditions that let snow to remain with good quality for days even if the quote is very low. The Friuli Venezia Giulia resorts have the altitudes between 800 and 2000 m however they have snow for all the season.

And finally there are Dolomites, the most "unique" mountains in the world. The climate conditions in Dolomites are not the best for powder skiing but there are some area and some terrain with a very nice tracks. The best area for freeride skiing in Dolomites is on Marmolada Glacier (read these: Freeride Marmolada) but unfortunately the snow is good only for few days in the season.

There are some books about freeride in the italian Alps:
Freeride Lombardia: http://www.skiforum.it/forum/rivist...isolaccia-bormio-santa-caterina-madesimo.html
Freeride Dolomiti: Nuova guida del Tremolada: Freeride in Dolomiti Nuova Edizione | news

freeride-dolomiti-tremolada.jpg