snowmobile

gurke

Hello

im from Germany and i only can speak English, so sry for this. :-(. But i hope someone can help me.

I have a snowmobile, but the opportunities to use it here, are very small. I heared that you don't have any rules for snowmobiles in Italy :)

So are there any rules? Or can i go where i want. In Switzerland you can only go with a permission, but for fun with rhe Snowmobile they don't give you a permission :D

Hope you can give me a good answer ;-)

cheers

Hi gurke, and welcome on SF!

I just moved your thread here, since you might get more chances for a proper answer. ;)

I do personally own a "sledge", but I do use it since we run a snowpark, therefore I have special permits in order to run on the groomed slopes.

In general, the situation here in Italy may vary a lot from place to place, where general rules of thumbs might be:
1) decisions on this kind of means of transport are normally regulated locally, meaning that every "Comune" (city council) has some rights in determining most of the aspects and local rules.
2) some "Comuni" are organized so that they have some tracks addressed specifically, meaning that you have a sort of "ring" where you can normally pay something, then go around with ease.
3) in other places, you need to get in touch with some sort of promoters, which tends to organize groups so to make excursions in some previously defined places. As a result, again you'll pay something in order to get along with the group and make your trip.
4) an exception, again, is of course for people who do work on slopes (like I do, well.. sort of at least. :D)

So, it isn't true at all we don't have rules, I'd say the opposite instead ;). In many places snowmobiles caused some accidents, and in general are considered noisy and polluting: as a result, a lot of mountain resorts now are getting stricter and stricter on this issue.

An example over all: in Via Lattea, where some years ago it was pretty normal to go up with sledges on mountain huts so to spend dinner in the snow, now it's all forbidden, even for those who runs the place.

If you are planning to come here to get some fun though, just ask here and we'll provide you with some infos, hopefully.

hi

ok thank you. So i have to contact every comune before i can go there hmm.

i was thinking about to conect snowkiting with the snowmobile. Sometimes you have to hike up the hill before you can kite, so it would be easier to go by snowmobile up the hill with the stuff to kite there.

What would be the punishment, if i would go without permission and someone would calling the police?

Because the problem is, that we only know ~ 12 hours before we try to kite, where the wind could be good to kite. So it could be getting hard to get a permission so fast :) And hiking to see that the wind is too low, sucks :D

cheers

ok, I've got the pic.

Fact is, in general, my suggestion is to look for a "friendly" area, where perhaps snowkite is already practiced and known (not so spread here, btw).

Once you get the idea over the "where", the "how" might come out as a consequence... :D

Ask your snowkite friends where, here in Italy, is normally practiced: make a short list, then we can try to work out something.

p.s. snowmobile+snowkite, I cannot think of a more "troublesome" duetto... The top would be to be also to have an heli, so to be 100% sure to be kicked around for the resort by locals.. :DDD

hi

thanks for your answers.

we are over Christmas in Graubünden, so the nearest to go , is over the Maloja or Bernina to get to Italy.

So would it be allowed to go by snowmobile in Madesimo? ( Saw, that you can book there snowmobile tours, but could i go riding alone?)

Other area would be Grosio Sondrio ( 46.391938, 10.25465)
Livigno Sondrio ( 46.494374, 10.171223)

Yep, Madesimo and Livigno should be "ok" in terms of attitude (I know they do use a lot sledges there), but let's see if some guys from there reads this and might help.