Help on Aosta Valley

Rugger skier

Ciao, ragazzi!!! First of all I have to apologise for not speaking italian. We're three friends planning a four day safari trip in the Aosta Valley in a couple of weeks and we've been navigating through the forum but we are not able to find the proper posts to answer our doubts, so we resort to this english corner for help:

- How are the snow conditions in the Valley? Quality? Depth? We're particularly interested in the "big five": Pila, La Thuile, Courmayeur, Monterosa and Cervinia.
- We're considering some backcountry, maybe the itineraries from Helbronner or Arp in Courmayeur, is there enough snow? is it posible to do them without a guide? The three of us are good skiers (the other two guys were instructors when they were younger) with some experience off piste.
- Any advise on places to have a beer in Aosta city, specially sport bars to watch the 6 Nations?

Any help will be very much apreciated!!!!!!

José Alberto

Ciao, ragazzi!!! First of all I have to apologise for not speaking italian. We're three friends planning a four day safari trip in the Aosta Valley in a couple of weeks and we've been navigating through the forum but we are not able to find the proper posts to answer our doubts, so we resort to this english corner for help:

- How are the snow conditions in the Valley? Quality? Depth? We're particularly interested in the "big five": Pila, La Thuile, Courmayeur, Monterosa and Cervinia.
- We're considering some backcountry, maybe the itineraries from Helbronner or Arp in Courmayeur, is there enough snow? is it posible to do them without a guide? The three of us are good skiers (the other two guys were instructors when they were younger) with some experience off piste.
- Any advise on places to have a beer in Aosta city, specially sport bars to watch the 6 Nations?

Any help will be very much apreciated!!!!!!

José Alberto

Hi :D
- I think snow conditions in valley are not so good for freeride, due to the lack of recent snowfalls..in any case it's better to have a guide if you don't know the place...snow conditions are better on slopes, I give you a link of a recent report of Matterhorn slopes http://www.skiforum.it/forum/showthread.php?t=49313
If you want to see 6 Nations you have to find a pub with the subscription to sky :D

Ultima modifica:
Hi,

the situation in the rest of the valley is more or less the same.
I know about the resort of Courmayeur and La Thuile where I skied two weekends ago.
Slopes are in good conditions and well prepared, but for the rest... better to avoid it!
The snow is very crusty, hard, not nice to be skied.
The Helbronner zone is better to be skied with a guide because of the glaciers and the steepness of some zones, but in this period it's not so fun to go there.
If you are going to be based in Aosta town, you'll find for sure a bar with sky tv sport channels, but also in Courmayeur.
Have fun and stay safe!

Thank you for the answers guys, I think we'll take your advice and we'll stay within the slopes limits unless the meteo changes for good in the next 7-10 days.

José Alberto

Quick recap of snow conditions and some advice:

La Thuile, Courmayeur: it was snowing on sunday (I was coming back from France) and conditions should be very good.

Don't go to Courmayeur during the week-end because there is usually a lot of crowd.

Monterosa and Cervinia should be good even if two weeks ago a friend of mine told me there was a lot of ice (Monterosa).

Freeride would be difficult but might be feasible in La Thuile/La Rosière.

Thank you for the update, we'll probably go to La Thuile and Courmayeur on thursday and friday and to Pila on sunday since we have the flight back home early in the evening, so it will be Monterosa or Cervinia on saturday depending on conditions.

for the beers in aosta i think a good place is "the old distillery pub".
i think you don't find a tv, but you can drink one more beer!!! :D

no backcountry on these days... you find very good conditions on piste only, specially in la thuile!